Macomb County Housing Rehabilitation Program
Comprehensive Housing Rehabilitation Program
The Comprehensive Housing Rehabilitation Program exists to help eligible homeowners with repairs to their homes to achieve decent, safe and sanitary affordable housing as defined by Macomb County Housing Rehabilitation Standards. The program limit for repairs is $40,000, funded through a zero-interest deferred payment loan.
- Repayment of the loan occurs when the title of the property is transferred.
- As long as the homeowner maintains the property as their primary residence and title do not change, the zero-interest loan remains deferred. No payments are required.
- When applicable, once the homeowner selects a contractor*, mortgage documents are signed with the County. The homeowner also signs a contract with the selected contractor*.
Limited Housing Rehabilitation Program***
The Limited Housing Rehabilitation Program is a grant-funded program that exists to help eligible homeowners make essential qualified repairs to their home as defined by program guidelines. The program limit for repairs is $10,000. Excludes: Clinton Township, Roseville, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights, and Warren. These communities have their own housing rehabilitation programs.
For more information about the Limited Housing Rehabilitation Program click here.
What to Expect
Each year a limited amount of funds are available for the program. Applications are processed on a “first-come, first-completed application” basis.
The following provides a basic program summary:
- Homeowners submit an application and all of the required documentation.
- Program staff will notify the applicant when all documents have been received. Staff may request additional information to determine eligibility.
- If eligibility is verified, inspections will be ordered to determine if lead-based paint hazards exist and to do a write-up of the scope of work.
- The homeowner will need to make the property available for these inspections which may last 2-3 hours.
- The inspector will evaluate the property per program guidelines.
- Inspection results and the cost estimate are shared with the homeowner.
- Be advised that if costs to repair exceed program guidelines, the project is denied.
- If a decision is reached to move forward with the repairs, the project is bid to insured contractors*.
- The homeowner must make the property available to contractors* who are required to inspect the property before submitting a sealed bid.
- Staff will schedule a bid opening and then perform careful analysis.
- A recommendation of the lowest bidding contractor is made to the homeowner.
- Final inspections are conducted upon completion of construction.
- A project completion letter is sent to the homeowner.
The County maintains a list of approved contractors for the Housing Rehabilitation Program. To be considered, you must first participate in a “New Contractors Meeting” during the Open Solicitation period and submit an application. To be notified of the next scheduled meeting, please send an e-mail with your contact information to Steve Schuster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the Housing Rehab Program:
Macomb Community Action
21885 Dunham Road, Suite 10
Clinton Township, MI 48036
Email: Steve Schuster at email@example.com
When emailing questions regarding services, please include your full name, phone number or other contact information and city of residence. This helps us to serve you more efficiently.
Deaf, deaf or hard of hearing:
Please call TTY at 586-469-5962