Show Me the Money Day
What is the event?
Show Me the Money Day is a free annual statewide event to promote access to free and low-cost financial resources, products, services, and financial education classes.
This event is geared toward moderate-low income households to empower, and educate them on how to improve their financial situations. This will be accomplished by providing various breakout sessions that will educate the consumer on best practices for managing their finances.
Why Should I Attend?
This virtual experience will give you the information you need to get started, keep building, or lay a new foundation for your financial future. This experience will give you the opportunity to interact with banking institutions and Macomb County based community resources to help you make the necessary moves toward your goals.
Take some time to chat with our presenters, ask about new banking opportunities, and take a look at what vendors have to offer in terms of education and services. This can also be a great opportunity to simply network with like-minded people looking to change their financial futures.
All events are FREE to the public. For more information, locations and a list of all statewide and local sponsors, visit ShowMeTheMoneyDay.org
Tuesday August 11, 2020
- 5:50pm - 6:00pm Ernest Cawvey - Welcome and Census Information
- 6:00pm - 6:15pm Open chat with facilitator and first presenter
- 6:15pm - 6:45pm Break out session: Managing Debt - MSU Extension
- 6:45pm - 7:00pm Break/Questions
- 7:00pm - 7:30pm Break out session: Energy Savings – DTE
- 7:30pm - 7:45pm Break/Questions
- 7:45pm- 8:15pm Break out session: Landlord Tenant – Lakeshore Legal Aid
- 8:15pm – 8:30pm Questions /final remarks
Wednesday August 12, 2020
- 4:30pm -4:45pm Open chat with facilitator and first presenter
- 4:45pm – 5:15pm Break out Session: Navigating the System - Social Security Administration
- 5:15pm – 5:30pm Questions
- 5:30pm -5:45pm Break/Open chat with PNC
- 5:45pm - 6:15pm Break out session: Identity Theft –PNC
- 6:15pm – 6:30pm Break/Questions
- 6:30pm – 7:00pm Break out session: Dollars and Sense - First State Bank
- 7:00pm – 7:15pm Questions to the presenter/final remarks
Thursday August 13, 2020
- 6:00pm - 6:15pm Open chat with facilitator and first presenter
- 6:15pm - 6:45pm Break out session: Credit Scores - Free Star Financial
- 6:45pm - 7:00pm Break /Questions
- 7:00pm - 7:30pm Break out session: Car Buying and Leasing - Veteran Services
- 7:30pm - 7:45pm Break/ Questions
- 7:45pm - 8:15pm Breakout Session: Homebuyer Education MSU Extension
- 8:15pm - 8:30pm Questions to the presenter/final remarks for the day
Friday August 14, 2020
- 11:45am – 12:00pm open chat/Prep
- 12:00pm - 12:30pm Lunch Demo – MSU Extension Food program
- 12:30pm - 12:45pm Break/Questions
- 12:45pm – 1:15pm Breakout session: Raising Money Smart Kids- MSUE Kids
- 1:15pm- 1:30pm Break/Questions
- 1:30pm - 2:00pm DIY Demo - MSU Extension
- 2:00pm – 2:15pm Questions
- 2:15pm - 2:45pm Submit surveys
- 3:00pm – 3:30pm Raffle drawings/ Final Remarks
RAFFLE AND PRIZE INFORMATION
Drawing & Winners
Congratulations to our 2020 Show Me the Money Week raffle winners Yemisi Wells, LeShelle Anderson, Sandra Patrick, and Andre Johnson!
Thank you to all those who participated in the event and in the raffle we hope to see you next year!
Raffles conducted by the Macomb Food Program, Raffle License #: X03079.
Drawing & Prizes (All drawings are on Friday)
⦁ 3:00pm drawing prize $100 gift card
⦁ 3:05pm drawing prize homemade laundry detergent (from demo)
⦁ 3:15pm drawing and prize $100 gift card
⦁ 3:20pm drawing prize $100 gift card
KEY NOTE SPEAKERS
Paul Gieleghem, Treasurer, Clinton Township – Message from Paul Gieleghem:
Edward Scott, District Director, MSU Extension – Macomb County
State Representative Lori M. Stone, 28th House District
Michigan State University Extension – Macomb County
- For further questions you can contact Nancy Hampton at 248-858-1639 https://www.canr.msu.edu/nutrition/events
- Michigan State University Extension Youth Money Management resources
- Educational resources for youth on investing
- Educational resources for youth on credit
- Educational resources broken down by age
- For questions or additional information please contact: 4-Hcareerprep@anr.msu.edu
- Meet the PNC Bank representatives: Anne Harpe, Vice President & Community Consultant and Bryan Kieler, Senior Vice President & Community Development Banking Market Manager
Free Star Financial
- Message from Free Star Financial: • https://youtu.be/pcOYTGI0mcg
- Meet First State Bank representative: Amy Persyn, First Vice President-Marketing Director
- VIDEO: Click https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqsO2Xgdd9A to watch!
- To reach out to the member center manager, Nicole Zimmerman for more information call (877)243-2528 Ext. 5051, email firstname.lastname@example.org or simply go to https://www.communitychoicecu.com/
COMMUNITY RESOURCE LINKS
Clinton Macomb Public Library
- For additional questions please call 586-226-5000 or email email@example.com
Detroit Institute of Arts
- Visit the links in the video or email Ian Rapnicki at for more information
EBT DOUBLE BUCKS link
Event Handouts can be found in the link below!
May not work in internet Explorer, but will in Microsoft Edge. Google Chrome is recommended.
- Click here to explore resources through your MI bridges account, or register today to find resources in your area!
- Check out the mobile food shops in your area!
- Explore Gleaners emergency assistance map for food drop off sites and pantry locations.
- Macomb County Food program also offers many resources to receive food for your family.
FREE Wi-Fi map link
- Click on map below to find the nearest free Wi-Fi hot spot
Lakeshore Legal Aid
- For assistance call the number on our flyer or visit our site in the link below!
Macomb County Activities resource
- Are you struggling to provide enough activity for your kids while they are stuck at home? MICommonwealth.com is an online bulletin board of free or low-cost activities for the whole family! Many are virtual!
Macomb County MISD
- Visit the right connection to find services for your specific situation http://connection.misd.net/
Need help finding resources in your area call 211 or visit their website at https://www.mi211.org/
For United Way resources and services click here to find more information.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs
- For free tax assistance, go to the IRS website or click here to find your closest site!
VETERANS ONLY RESOURCES
For more information on Veteran Services please go to https://vets.macombgov.org/Vets-Home or call (586)469-5315.
2020 EVENT SPONSORS
We would like to extend a special thank you to our sponsors, whose commitments were generous enough to allow us to put on this event even after the delay of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are so grateful to all those who contributed funds toward this special event.
Statewide Sponsor 2020
Show Me the Money Day offers sponsors excellent benefits such as branding, social media exposure, and access to the community.
Should you wish to sponsor this exciting event in the future, please contact Mary Frontiero at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss details and options for our 2021 event.